Saturday, September 11, 2010

Cloth diapering


We were having troubles with diaper rash and such due to what I assume was buildup in our cloth diapers. We went for such a long time with no problems and little to no maintenance on our diapers (other than regular washing). But, I guess as H has gotten older and is eating more variety, and is just a bigger boy, we had buildup (ammonia) that caused some nasty rashes. At one point we couldn't even go a week without the rash and would have to switch to disposable for a day or two until it went away. No fun for him, and for me I felt like it sort of defeated the purpose of using cloth. So... I just wanted to share with anyone out there about what we learned!

We have been using Rockin' Green (lavender mint scent). It smells great, leaves no residue, and I have done a couple soaks using it that has eliminated the buildup.
We have also been using the GroVia magic stick, which is all natural and mostly herbal (which I love). It is cloth diaper approved, leaves no white gunk on his diapers, smells nice.... We put it on H after most diaper changes and definately before nap and bedtime. This seems to help a lot!
We also just make sure to change his diaper regularly and frequently - especially in the hot and humid summer months.

With these changes, instead of the rash resurfacing before a week was over - we are now going on week 5 with no rash! Success!

So, I just had to share with anyone who might be interested.

Where did my chubby baby go???

1 comment:

  1. Ok, so did you completely switch from Charlie's to Rockin' Green? Or just part-time? 'Cause we are having similar issues, and it is driving me completely bonkers! I got a sample of RG when I lived in Livermore and had a top-loader and it was fine, but I wasn't impressed enough to switch (that was back when I was using regular-ole' detergent on the diapers). But ever since we got a front loader, we have been having major problems with diaper rash. Grrrr... maybe it'd be worth it to give RG another shot...

    ReplyDelete

Followers