Monday, January 4, 2010

A good two weeks



The past two weeks while N was on Christmas break (one of the good things about being a teacher!) were wonderful!  Lots of time spent together, I took a much needed break from sewing, we also had plenty of family and friends!  Some of my favorites were going in with N to get H up from his naps, playing together as a family, taking walks together, cooking many good meals, and doing some non-sewing crafts.

Some cuteness:

 I think I posted a picture of H playing the piano before,
but it is just so cute!




Playing with some new toys! When he is really concentrating on something he makes his mouth very small, makes me want to squeeze him every time!




N and I couldn't decide if he looked comfortable here or not!  Sleeping on top of two blankets, one alligator and a monkey, right against the crib side.

H often will take off his socks during naptime and we will find them on the floor.  Yesterday when N went in to get him after his nap, his pants were on the floor!  We still can't figure out how he managed that, it takes some maneuvering, especially on a cloth diapered bum!






A thought or two about work vs. hobby....  both N and I love music and are musicians, we are also working in the field of music.  Teaching music, church musicians, etc..  It is difficult when something that once was your hobby becomes your job.  It can take some of the pleasure out of it.  I have always loved sewing as a hobby, and now that I am sewing and selling things, it becomes more like a 'job.'  So, again, how do you keep that enjoyment?

So, here are some 'non-sewing' crafts that I have enjoyed these past couple of weeks:

A needle book and pincushion.
The book is made with felt sheets, with a blanket stitch around the side and a flower needle felted on the cover.  The pincushion is just a large needle felted ball with some squiggles needlefelted on it.  I just need something to attach the ball to to keep it stable while in use.

Two crafts using wood blocks and  Mod Podge:

A 'Perpetual Wood Calendar.'  I know it is not the 24th, but I like the paper...
There are a few tutorials online for it.  I imagine it would be a great gift for teachers, friends, or church workers...




Alphabet blocks for H.  Made with fun animal paper and shapes.  I stamped the letters and little additional designs on it.  It has one of every letter except for 'r' so that we can spell his name.



Some crocheted projects.

I saw this idea here.  I have no idea what yarn I used, it has been in my yarn box for years, but I thought it would be perfect for my blue-eyed babe.  Very quick, easy, and cute!



Some animal friends.  I made the bunny and pig over the past two weeks.  The others I have been working on here and there over the past few months.  Most of the patterns are from Easy Crochet Critters and were just that - easy!  The rest were free patterns from Lion Brand.



Now I think I am ready to sew again.... I have a few projects that I have been waiting to make....

1 comment:

  1. Good gracious, you've been busy! Give your hands a rest!! (BTW - I am about to start a rag quilt...I will send you update pics. Most likely of me weeping in a mass of fabric. HA!)

    ReplyDelete

Followers