Tuesday, January 4, 2011

H's travel bag

With all of the holiday traveling we have been doing, I decided to complete a few projects that I'd been meaning to do once H got a little older. Hopefully they will keep him happy and occupied during our trips (most in the car, but one upcoming plane trip).

All of the projects were made using fabric and supplies that I already had on hand - which is either a good thing that I didn't need to go out an buy more supplies, or a bad thing that I have so much extra supplies! Either way, it was fun shopping in my supply closet and coming up with a few cute things!


Toddler backpack. The pattern (and many other wonderful patterns) can be purchased here. I thought this was so cute! And maybe after baby #2 comes, H's diaper bag will become the baby's diaper bag and then H can use this little backpack. It is definitely perfect toddler size, and Rae even includes suggestions on how to adjust the size bigger or smaller. I followed her pattern exactly except that I added interfacing and a lining to add sturdiness, and just because I didn't want all of the raw edges showing on the inside.


Some lacing beads. Another mama with a daughter a couple of months older than H said that her daughter loved these - so I thought we might give them a try. I had some colorful beads lying around and got a thick shoe lace for the string. We will see what he thinks!

A crayon caddy - there are places for a pad of paper, crayons and markers/colored pencils (when he is old enough for those). H is really into "coworing" and it can get a bit tedious to carry the crayon box, some paper, etc - when you are already carrying a million things, so now it is all in one compact place!

A matching game - for now we probably won't be doing too much matching, just looking, but the pictures are cute. I used the pictures from here (I love Homemade by Jill's stuff/ideas!), but put them on wooden nickles instead of baby food jar lids just to make it a little more compact and easy to travel with.


An I-Spy bag. I'd seen these on the internet and on etsy and thought they were cute. There are many tutorials out there if you are interested. I tried to use mainly bigger objects to make it a little easier for H. When he gets older I may make another with some smaller items in it. Before I filled the bag I took a picture with all of the objects in it and then labeled them all, instead of just listing everything.


Alphabet flashcards. H is really into letters these days, and can identify most of them correctly. These are again from Jill - you can find them here. I printed them up and laminated them. Hopefully with the bold letters and fun pictures, this will keep H happy for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers