Saturday, August 15, 2009

What is that???


What does my child have on his head??? It is my version of a Moboleez - basically a wide brimmed sun hat, intended for nursing. So, instead of you wearing a nursing cover or shawl, your baby wears this hat and the brim covers you. I made this one (it was very easy to make once I got the measurements right) and he actually handles it better than he does a nursing cover (which he is always trying to grab). The only thing I haven't figured out is how to get myself ready to nurse. Once I am all un-hooked and ready, I can latch him on and he nurses fine, but how do I cover myself while getting un-hooked???

I am still not entirely comfortable nursing in public - even totally covered - but there are some people who have it down!!! While we were in CA, I saw many people nursing on the street with no cover - while I was inside in the corner of a restaurant with a nursing cover and my mother strategically placed to give cover and privacy. I just like to be in the comfort of my own home, or among family while nursing.

Have you seen Michelle Duggar nursing on TV? She is always modestly covered, the baby is never waving it's arm around, and she always looks comfortable and natural. Teaching the kids - nursing, reading at a local school - nursing, shopping - nursing. Maybe I will become this efficient and comfortable with our next child...

Full and happy!!!

Excuse this post - I don't intend to talk about this all the time, I just marvel at how some women are totally comfortable nursing covered and uncovered in public. I love being able to provide my baby with the nutrients he needs, I feel strong that my body can continue to support his life outside the womb, I love the closeness and attachment that I feel to him because of the nursing relationship, but I just am not comfortable doing it in public. But, maybe this hat will be the answer!!!

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way. I've seen a ton of women w/o covers since moving here, and every time I try to nurse in public even w/ a cover, I'm so worried that I'm flashing the entire universe that I can't relax and M doesn't get that great of a feeding. Bah.

    ReplyDelete

Followers